To celebrate Halloween, we combed through the archives searching for Atlanta’s spookiest mansions. Sadly, none of the houses remain standing today.
Houses in order of appearance:
George L. King House - Undated
Georgia Governor’s Mansion - c. 1905
William R. Hill House - c. 1878
Dr. John R. Hopkins House - c. 1920
Benjamin F. Abbott House - c. 1895
Mrs. Augustus M. Robinson House - c. 1895
Governor’s Mansions in Atlanta
In 1870, the state purchased the John James residence at the corner of Peachtree and Cain Streets for use as the Governor’s residence (top). The grand Victorian mansion was demolished in 1923. In 1925, the state acquired the home of Edwin Ansley, located at The Prado in Ansley Park (middle). The mansion was demolished in 1968. The current Governor’s Mansion, completed in 1968, is located at 391 West Paces Ferry Road (bottom).
In honor of Halloween, here’s a collection of pics of some of the creepiest Atlanta houses we could find in the archives. Enjoy!
NEW video tour of the Atlanta History Center’s 1928 Swan House. The Swan House is open daily for tours. Learn more.